The following is a general timeline of the MCBD process for any given year to help potential sponsors, authors, book donators, reviewers, supporters, and team members plan and prepare for the next/upcoming Multicultural Children’s Book Day. This plan applies to any given calendar year.
Party time! The MCBD on and offline event occurs the last Friday of January. Our yearly celebration also includes a much-anticipated Twitter Party that occurs on our official celebration day and is usually at 9:00 p.m.ET
Shhhh. The MCBD Team is resting, recovering, and beginning to plot fabulous things for the NEXT Multicultural Children’s Book Day.
May is when we actively start looking for a guest illustrator for our official MCBD poster for the coming year.
June is usually the month the MCBD Team begins creating and producing our next free, downloadable class kit. This includes selecting a guest illustrator to create a separate poster for the class kit.
Past kids include:
The annual July Flash Sale is a chance to get Author Sponsorships and Platinum Level Sponsorships at a very special rate (around 35% off)
September is when the planning for the next MCBD begins to ramp up. Some of the tasks we focus on in Sept include:
- Re-inviting past CoHosts or Selecting new ones
- Opening Reviewer Sign-up
- Opening ALL Sponsorship Levels (Super Platinum, Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Author)
- Release and promotion of the lastest free, downloadable class kit
- Sign-ups for book donators open now. Book donators are authors and publishers who don’t wish to purchase a Sponsorship Level, but would like their books considered to be matched with reviewers or be part of our Free Diverse Books for Classrooms Project.
- Encouraging past and new book reviewers to sign up to receive a free diverse book to review for the January event is a huge part of October as well.
Planning and implement for the next MCBD is in full swing! Some of the key things that happen during these two months are:
- Book Matching Begins: From mid-November to the end of December, the MCBD Team is working hard to match reviewers with authors or publishers.
- Sponsorships: The MCBD Team is also actively working with prospecting for new Sponsors and welcoming back returning ones.
- The Offline Classroom Celebration Swag Project sign-up opens. The first 100 classrooms to sign up will get a special package from the MCBD Team with a free book and goodies to help with their classroom celebration of Multicultural Children’s Book Day.
On the home stretch! During the crazy-busy month of January, here is what occurs in lieu of the event on the last Friday of the month
- Finalize book matching
- Email ALL reviewers with their instructions, images, details, and deadlines.
- Announce Twitter party prizes and discussion topics
- Get ready for the Multicultural Children’s Book Day event!
**All of the above is subject to change.**
**If you have questions about Multicultural Children’s Book Day, how to get involved, or how to get free books for your school or classroom, email Admin (at) MulticulturalChildrensBookDay (dot) com **