As you may know, Multicultural Children’s Book Day (MCCBD) is a non-profit that works with authors to get their books reviewed during our online event and also works to get free diversity children’s books into the hands of young readers. Your readership and support is a gift that we deeply value.
As you may know, the online event/holiday takes place every January 27th and we are now in our 5th year. BUT this year, the official “day” falls on a Saturday. No biggee for most party-goers, but a bit of a style-cramper for educators and librarians.
So what are we doing about it? We’re whooping it up all week long of course!
So starting on January 22nd all the way until the Big Day (1/27/18) we will be encouraging young readers, caregivers, grandparents, parents, teachers and librarians to “party” the week leading up with their own gatherings, booklists, social media tweets and books reviews. Our own reviewers (300+ of them!) will be busy sharing their own multicultural books reviews online and we expect Authors and Sponsors will have some fun and goodies up their sleeves as well.
How to Get Involved in Multicultural Children’s Book Day 2018: Resources and Ideas
To help make this even more impactful and fun, we have even hired an Offline Classroom Event Coordinator to make sure classrooms who want to celebrate have the “swag” they need (bookmarks, pencils, stickers). Those teachers who do have a celebration in the classroom, and send us a picture of their party, will receive 3 free diverse books from us as a Thank You.
More details to come in that 🙂
How to Get Involved in Multicultural Children’s Book Day 2018: Discussing Empathy and Immigration
Our new free Classroom Empathy Kit is ready! The 2018 has a focus on empathy, compassion and immigration and there is a mind-blowing backpack activity that co-founder, Valarie Budayr, as added along with a pretty powerful story. It truly makes adults and kids alike think about what is most important in life. You can view/download the free kit here.
How to Get Involved in Multicultural Children’s Book Day 2018: Recap of 2017
The 2017 event brought in over 3.9 billion social media share impressions. Our Twitter Party on the same day garnered over 1900 #ReadYourWorld tweets in an hour and trended #2 behind #MuslimBan. Needless to say the weeks and day leading up to the event attracts a ton of attention and traction!
Planning for 2018 event is already in full swing and as a non-profit our mission is two-fold:
- To get free multicultural children’s books into the hands of young readers, teachers and librarians.
- Shine the spotlight on all of the amazing multicultural authors, illustrators and publishers that we know are out there.
We would love to have you participate in our upcoming event and here are a few ways you can do so:
- Donate Books:For our next online event (1/27/18) we will have hundreds of book reviewers signed up to review diverse children’s books on their blogs or on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube. Authors and publishers have the option of offering copies of their multicultural children’s books to our reviewers to review and write a social media review about. There are no guarantees that we will be able to match your book to a reviewer(s), but if this interests you, let me know. We will provide you with names and addresses and you mail your book directly to the reviewer.
Go here to sign up as a book donator and send a copy diverse book to the below address. The book you send will then be donated to a classroom.
PO BOX 2814, Baxter MN 56425
**NOTE: We do not limit book reviewers to just bloggers. There are so many book-loving moms who have vibrant social media channels we are going to open up review options to include social media to give those who are not bloggers a chance to share books with their followers.
- Multiple options for Sponsorship:Sponsorship is not only a great way to support this event; it is an excellent way to get your name (and your books) in front of thousands of readers. All of our Sponsors get a name mention within the hundreds of reviews that get posted during January and also on our 21 CoHosts sites. First consideration for matching books to reviewers always goes to our reviewers first as well.
We’ve attached sponsorship info to this email and our Sponsorship levels range from Platinum to Author Level and “Friends of MCCBD” to fit any budget. http://multiculturalchildrensbookday.com/sponsorship/sponsorship-info/
- Connect with us on social media and share, share, share! Our official hashtag is #ReadYourWorld
– Twitter https://twitter.com/MCChildsBookDay
-Reminder: The hashtag for this event is #ReadYourWorld
How to Get Involved in Multicultural Children’s Book Day 2018: MCBD Links to remember
MCBD site: http://multiculturalchildrensbookday.com/
Free Multicultural Books for Teachers: http://bit.ly/1kGZrta
Free Classroom Empathy Kit for Homeschoolers, Organizations, Librarians and Educators: http://multiculturalchildrensbookday.com/mcbd2018s-free-classroom-empathy-kit-is-here-empathy-immigration/
Free Kindness Classroom Kit for Homeschoolers, Organizations, Librarians and Educators: http://multiculturalchildrensbookday.com/teachers-classroom-kindness-kit/
Free Diversity Book Lists and Activities for Teachers and Parents: http://bit.ly/1sZ5s8i
Hashtag: Don’t forget to connect with is on social media and be sure and look for/use their official hashtag #ReadYourWorld.
Thank you so much for your support!